Just finished a 11 week long internship with Harman Kardon. I was working mainly on developing new shape shifting controls for the car. The modern car has an inane amount of buttons each dedicated to a control. Luxury brands have partially solved this problem using their rotary controller. However this still requires a lot of attention to the infotainment screen. Instead what if you could control the infotainment system with minimal attention to the screen. This was the goal of my internship.
I started out with 10 broad ideas on how to solve it. With rapid prototyping, user testing, and many long discussions with the rest of the Harman Kardon Future Experience team, I gradually narrowed down these ideas to 4 final ideas that I made high quality prototypes of to demo to the company. These final four ideas were presented to the FX team at the end of my internship.
This is the concept video showing the vision we had for a shape shifting control interface
As of right now, there will be no pictures posted as I am not sure what I can show publicly.
Main skills used: Rapid Prototyping, Mechatronics, 3D printing, 3D CAD (Solidworks)
The Roomba Telepresence Robot provides a much cheaper alternative to current telepresence robot. The Roomba Telepresence Robot takes advantage of the well designed Roomba to provide a reliable well-tested base. While not as reliable as current market robots, the Roomba's cheap price and modifiable design makes it an ideal telepresence robot for those on a budget. The project in total cost around 500 dollars, much less that the current marks for around 1000 dollars.
Final Setup: (Updated 05/16/2017)
Second Setup: (Updated 04/12/2017)
First Setup: (Updated 04/08/2017)
This project was created in order to keep in contact with our parents virtually.
Final Project for ME210: Introduction to Mechatronics has been completed!
For more details, visit this site: http://me210roombot.weebly.com/
At Lytro, I was responsible for one focal project and many side projects. Due to NDA, I cannot delve too far into detail.
My main project was to build a small VR rig that would cover all the viewing angles of the main Lytro Immerge rig. I was required to reach a certain range of heights, reach certain tolerances for mounting the camera, have the rig be easily usable and transportable, and require any camera placement requirements the VR CS team threw at me. During this time, I ran around a lot between the product manager, the CS team, the senior mechanical engineer, the EE team, and the calibration team. I had to make sure my product would work smoothly with their processes. A part of this project is shown below in the first document.
My minor projects are as listed:
For a class project, my team decided to modify a coffee maker to accept any type of coffee mug. There were concern when designing the product about the water pressure and potential cost of adding this feature. However, we were able to have an acceptable water pressure to make the coffee. We also predicted through survey results that we would be able to sell these machines for a slight markup and still make a large profit.
The Lumi Table was my project for ME203, an engineering class at Stanford about design and manufacturing process.
Full Scale Prototype
Practicing MIG Welding And Brass Braising
Construction of the Final Product
Testing the Final Product (light too dim, good height)
Fixing and Finishing
Finished Product Ready for Powder Coating
Over the past two weeks, I have been playing around with ways to remotely turn on lights for the Waliid. Two of the setups are shown below. Sorry for the tired voice. It was very late at night as I did not really have time to do this any other time.
In this setup I used parts from a servo to turn on the light, mainly the control board and the potentiometer.
A couple of days later I realized I still had a brushed ESC around ( I originally got the brushed ESC to try to remotely light a fuse). I also had just received a LED strip to play around. This result was much better than the first. The LEDs were much brighter and the setup overall was just much more reliable.
I showed this setup up to SAP (Syria Airlift Project) and they liked the idea, albeit with some hesitancy on the slight complexity of design. However the complexity was deemed to be minimal and I was allowed to put the lights on the plane as shown below.
Then this Saturday, we decided to do a night flight testing the LED lights. Overall it turned out very well. Inclusively, our leader, Mark Jacobsen, made a small LED setup to put on the payload to make it easier to find.
A short video of the night flight is shown below.
Make Magazine decided to do a report on us shortly after the Sacramento demo. We showed up our current process to send out these planes and drop supplies.
Their story here: http://makezine.com/2015/05/06/building-drones-to-deliver-medicine-and-food-to-war-torn-syria/